hello! experience with 802.11x and extreme humidity?

Martin Pot m.t.pot at ieee.org
Sun Oct 13 15:02:49 EST 2002

Hi Armin.

I've got a 10km 802.11b link thru some trees, and am monitoring the SNR,
signal, noise, etc with rrdtool (at 5 minute intervals).

Wet weather tends to drop my SNR by about 2dB, which isn't suprising,
because the wet trees would be absorbing some of my signal.

To see just how the weather affects my signal, I'm now also monitoring the
temperature, wind speed, wind direction, rainfall, relative humidity, and
barometric pressure with rrdtool (at 10 minute intervals, using
www.bom.gov.au data).
I'm doing this so I can easily compare my signal rrd graphs with the
weather rrd graphs, to see what impact the weather is having on my link.

I've only been monitoring the weather for a couple of days, so I don't
have enough data yet, but should definitely be able to provide more info
in a few weeks or so.

Cheers,
Martin.