Cannot set ESSID for Symbol PCMCIA card

Doug Chan d.chan at mail.com
Fri Oct 4 09:03:34 EST 2002

Dear all,

I would really appreciate greatly if someone can give me some help on this.

I am using the orinoco_cs module for my Symbol Spectrum24 PCMCIA card on Red Hat 7.3 with pcmcia-cs-3.1.34.  For some reason, I cannot set the ESSID for the card.  Using iwconfig, I can set all the parameters but ESSID.

Furthermore, if I do a iwconfig eth1 config, I get such error msg:

Error for wireless request "Commit changes" (8B00) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Operation not supported.

Judging from the var/log/messages, everything else looks good too.

With the same setup, when I plug in my colleague's Cisco Aironet card and restart pcmcia, I can set the ESSID and associate with an access point.

Can someone kindly give me some suggestions please?

Thank you very much,

Doug

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Get 4 DVDs for $.49 cents! plus shipping & processing. Click to join.

"Free price comparison tool gives you the best prices and cash back!"
http://www.bestbuyfinder.com/download.htm