Bluetooth and 802.11b

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 29 15:42:56 EST 2002

I operate both in close proximity with no noticable effects. However, a study
was done in which a bluetooth and an 802.11b card were located in adjacent
PCMCIA slots and apparently the throughput on both went to near zero (I don't
have the reference here). I suspect that the different transmitters were
flooding the others receivers.

Bluetooth is a Frequency Hopper, switching 1600 times/sec in 1MHz bands (79 in
all). 802.11b is Direct Sequence and occupies a 22MHz chunk of bandwidth.

In theory the DS nature of 802.11b should make it to some extent immune from
the effects of the 1MHz-wide bursts of noise from Bluetooth.

Also, Bluetooth has a range of about 5m, so won't even be seen by 802.11b
devices operating more than that distance away (this is a simplification - it
is likely that the 802.11b receivers are more sensitive than the average
bluetooth receiver). However, bluetooth may well be affected to some extent by
a nearby 802.11b transmitter which will be relatively powerful.

So, this is not a clear answer and depends upon many factors. Personally, I
believe that Bluetooth is here to stay, and if not, then something else will
step into its place. It is even an IEEE standard now (802.15).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.