[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: DWL-900AP and Linux

Michael Renzmann mrenzmann at dylanic.de
Wed Nov 27 21:01:40 EST 2002

Hi.

Jim Carter wrote:
>>i was talking about the 900AP+ - sorry, i should have been more
>>specific.
> I wouldn't be too surprised to find that it's running Linux already.  Of
> course, there's no documentation so you can't do anything with it...

Negative.

I spent last saturday with "hacking" a Wisecom AP (another OEM of the
Global Sun Technologies products, as D-Link is too) in order to look for
additional security holes.

If you take a deeper look at the firmware binary (which actually is an
ARJ archive you can easily extract the real firmware from), you will
find out that the OS used on those APs is ThreadX
(http://www.ghs.com/products/rtos/threadx_arm_thumb.html). ThreadX has
been originally developed by Express Logic and now seems to be part of
the portfolio of "Green Hills" (see URL).

There are hints within the firmware that the webserver and the
tftp-server within the APs come from Interniche
(http://www.iniche.com/products.htm).

And by the way: there is a proof that developing firmware for such
products may harm your health... you can find this one in the file: "Hey
Moe, it dont woik. NYUK NYUK NYUK NYUK *bop* Owww!" :))

To all those DWL-900AP+-users here in the list: maybe your AP does
support 802.1x! Try to get access to the following webpage:
http://<ip of your ap>/p802.htm

If it exists in the D-Link firmware you will be able to activate 802.1x
support.

Bye, Mike