WEP vulnerabilities and SOHO WLAN products

Dale Shaw DShaw at exceed.com.au
Thu Nov 21 11:19:21 EST 2002

Hi,

I've just moved into an apartment block where access to walls and
ceiling for cabling is not a happening thing. Enter wireless networking.
Yay!

I'm gonna connect up to TransACT (http://www.transact.com.au/about/ for
those non-Canberrans on the list) so I'm looking at connecting some kind
of all-in-one wireless AP/router to the TransACT STB. I'll be looking
for something with a 4-port switch too.

Anyway, while I'm a pretty caring and sharing kinda guy, I'm not willing
to give free Internet access to passers-by armed with AirSnort or
whatever. Despite the freely-available exploit tools, I've noticed a
distinct lack of information about wireless security when browsing
around vendor web sites.

Is Cisco the only company that's come up with a (proprietary, for now)
solution for the known vulnerabilities? Since Cisco's pricing isn't
exactly aimed at hobbyists, I'll probably give them a miss, but what is
everyone else doing? You know, all the Netgear, D-Link, Linksys et al.
owners.

I want to keep it as simple as possible with as little 'infrastructure'
as possible. Do any of the consumer-level products do 802.1X? I'm mostly
concerned about authentication, but something that also covers
encryption would be nice. IPSec requires infrastructure, so unless I can
terminate a tunnel on the AP/router, I'd like to avoid going down that
path.

Maybe I'm being paranoid? Maybe I'm asking too much of this level of
device. Thoughts and opinions please :-)

Cheers,
Dale