Embedded linux wireless system

Paul Pounds qball36 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 20 13:37:45 EST 2002

Greetings,

        I am a fourth year engineering student at the Australian National
University.  As part of my degree, I am doing work experience with the
Australian War Memorial conservation group.  I'm working with them to
produce a wireless sensor system that can read the internal environment
conditions of an artifact (eg. the engine block of a vehicle in storage) and
transmit the data to a network.

        You folks are familiar with wireless systems and based locally, so
it seemed logical to say hello and see if there's anything I can learn from
you.

        I'm trying to make the data system using an Applied Data 'bitsey'
single board computer and a PCMCIA wireless client card.  It's been
recommended that an Orinoco or Cisco Aironet 340 card be used with the
bitsey, but I'm not sure where I can find them in Canberra or Sydney.

        Does anyone know where to get them locally or have any experience in
using these cards in embedded applications?

        Any help, advice or general wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

        take care,

               -Paul Pounds