Compaq WL200 on Smoothwall (this time in plain text)

Daniel Barlow dan at telent.net
Mon Nov 4 03:54:55 EST 2002

Jim Carter <jimc at math.ucla.edu> writes:

> Am I correct that this is a PCI card with a little slot in it where you put
> in a PCMCIA card?  If so, the relevant driver is orinoco_plx, and you don't
> do anything at all with PCMCIA.  But this driver is for the PLX9052
> PCI-PCMCIA bridge chip (I've lost track of who the actual chip vendor is),
> and I don't see the words "Cirrus Logic" in the sources.  I've taken the
> liberty of forwarding this message to the driver's maintainer.

I'm not the maintainer as such, just the original author - patches to
the orinoco_plx driver should go to David Gibson, because all that I
will do with them anyway is forward them onto him...

A Google search suggests that the WL200 is a real PCMCIA bridge not a
PLX device anyway, though.  cat /proc/pci may help illuminate matters
(compare the output for your bridge with that in the comment at the
top of orinoco_plx.c, see if it has the same numbers and kinds of
resources).  If the pcmcia daemons won't start, it may be worth trying
alternate PCIC settings (look for any of i82365, yenta_socket, tcic in
the pcmcia startup and replace it with one of the others, repeat until
options exhausted or card does something different)

Apologies for not being more precise, but I'm suffering from 8 hour
jetlag right now.

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources