orinoco.c patch for Intel PRO/Wireless 2011

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Thu May 30 08:52:10 EST 2002

Hi, Jeffrey!

> Here is a patch for anyone trying to use Intel PRO/Wireless 2011
> pcmcia card with the orinoco drivers, who are experiencing kernel
> panics or freezes.  This used to be in the driver base, but
> disappeared around 0.08.  Run with `patch -p0 < orinoco.c.intel_patch`

The problem with hermes_reset() is not unique to Intel PRO/Wireless 2011 -
it was observed on other cards with Symbol firmware.

Thanks for your patch.  I don't have a card of this type, so I cannot test
it, but it looks good.  The only thing I don't understand is why you set
hw->inten to 0 and who is supposed to restore it.  Apart from that, this
patch seems to be a good workaround.

The work is underway on the orinoco driver to make it possible to reset
the card really hard from any state, so that it will forget about previous
hermes_reset().  This is the right thing to do when the transmission
watchdog triggers or when the user requests to reset the card.

Most time orinoco_reset() is called simply to commit new parameters.  In
this case, hermes_disable_port() should be sufficient for all cards.

Developers of the orinoco driver are aware of the problem.  The archives
of the development list are here:
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/18950/0/

--
Regards,