Spoofing a MAC addrew

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue May 28 16:04:45 EST 2002

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 10:01:53PM -0700, Jim Carter wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2002, Mr Leon G. Vandenberg wrote:
> > How easy is it to spoof a different MAC address with Orinoco Gold card
> > and Windows XP
> > I know this is possible on Linux
> > I want to prove to a corporate customer how trival this is
>
> On the Dell TrueMobile 1150 with WinXP, the procedure was going to be:
> Open Network Connections, click on the icon for your wireless net.
> On the left side, "Change settings for this network".
> On the General tab, it lists the card, and under it, "Configure".
> On the Advanced tab, select the appropriate parameter and fill in a value.
>
> You can also get to the card config dialog through Device Manager; right
> click the line for the card and choose Properties.
>
> But on the Dell TrueMobile 1150, which has Lucent-Agere firmware, there is
> no parameter provided to show or change the MAC address.  Apparently some
> drivers have it and some don't.  There's just the channel, the station
> nickname, the power save mode, I think the frag threshold, and the Tx retry
> count.  (That's from memory.)

Under Linux, the command is "ifconfig ethXX hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx".

However that won't work with any released version of the orinoco
driver, including 0.11b.  It's trivial to implement, but I basically
just forgot to do it.  The code to do this is in the "testing"
version, but the testing version is badly broken at the moment for
other reasons (we're completely reworking the locking structure).