Configuration problem

Tom Perkins tomp at trperkins.2y.net
Sat May 25 22:29:08 EST 2002

I've tracked the problem to an issue with the following code.

netif_device_present is a macro testing bit 0(zero) of dev->start. This
fails prior to an ifconfig (ie, in particular after card insertion).
When I replace the "return" solely with a "printk" I get a log and the
expected operation of the ioctl. This solves my immediate problem. I'll
investigate further when time permits next week.

Regards,
Tom

BTW, I started with basic package source code. I only upgraded to try
and fix the problem. I'm using the 2.2.20 kernel because I'm adding
wireless support to my gateway. I need the 2.2.x kernels because of the
multiple VPN client connection patch support in IPMASQ.

orinoco_ioctl(struct net_device *dev, struct ifreq *rq, int cmd)
{
         struct orinoco_private *priv = dev->priv;
         struct iwreq *wrq = (struct iwreq *)rq;
         int err = 0;
         int changed = 0;

         TRACE_ENTER(dev->name);

         /* In theory, we could allow most of the the SET stuff to be
          * done In practice, the laps of time at startup when the card
          * is not ready is very short, so why bother...  Note that
          * netif_device_present is different from up/down (ifconfig),
          * when the device is not yet up, it is usually already
          * ready...  Jean II */
         if (! netif_device_present(dev))
                 return -ENODEV;

  	.