Configuration problem

Tom Perkins tomp at trperkins.2y.net
Sat May 25 09:42:47 EST 2002

Hi,

Sorry if this well known but couldn't find an anwser anywhere.

I'm using Linux 2.2.20 with pcmcia 3.1.33 all with wireless extensions
v14. I have a Lucent 802.11b Gold. The modules all load properly.

The problem is that I can't use iwconfig until the interface has been
up'd with ifconfig then iwconfig works just fine. Without up'ing the
interface iwconfig reports "no wireless extensions"

After module loading:

ifconfig eth0 - reports the correct mac address.
The log shows the default driver values and reports ieee ad-hoc support
and 128bit enc.

However,

iwconfig eth0 - reports "no wireless extensions"

after an

ifconfig eth0 10.0.1.1

iwconfig works great.

Regards,