Orinoco start up sequence

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Fri May 10 07:14:22 EST 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:06:14PM +0200, Nicola76 wrote:
> I have read PCMCIA  System Architetture book and PRISM Driver Programmer's manual from Intersil. I know that hermes is very similar to Intersil HFA3841/2 Mac controller.
> I thought that at power on or at reset the PC Card load firmware from internal flash to RAM. In this time the card pull the READY line down to advice host to hold for access. I need to know if the station firmware is loaded automatically or the host do it. This is what i have tried:
> 1) Power on with 5V
> 2) after >1ms rise RESET signal for at least 10 us
> 3) Pull down RESET
> 4) Wait for 20 ms or READY goes 1 (wait the PC Card load firmware)
> 5) read CIS in Attribute Memory (configuration tuple)
> 6) Write 0x01 in COR register at address 0x3E0, this commutate into I/O mode
> 7) Operate in I/O mode, i write my code using hcf-light library, it work pretty fine on my laptop.
> At moment i don't know if is a hardware problem or an error in the sequence. I know your experience in wireless card,
> can you told me if is correct? Can you give me some help? I appreciate it very much! Thank you for your time,
>
> Best Regards,
> Nicola
> nicola76 at inwind.it

	Quickly :
	1) The firware is automatically downloaded, you don't need to
do it. A quick look in the wvlan/orinoco driver would have given you
this answer, so please read the source code.
	2) The green light will come up only after proper firmware
initialisation, which is done in HCF, so a lot of things need to be
right.
	3) I can't comment on the sequence because most of what you
describe are handled automatically by the Pcmcia package.
	4) Most Pcmcia controller need to be configured to map the
card ressources on the bus, and you don't seem to do that, but that
depend on the controller itself.
	5) If you need real support, there is plenty of companies
willing to get paid for it. If you can't pay, use the source code and
experimentation, because manuals tend to be buggy or erroneous.

	Regards,

	Jean