Dell Truemobile - how useful??

Aristotle aristotle at ihug.com.au
Wed May 8 21:18:59 EST 2002

So how can one get their Dell laptop to link up with community wireless
LAN's?

On Sat, 2002-05-04 at 15:58, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:

    Aristotle <aristotle at ihug.com.au> wrote,

    > I am about to get a Dell Inspiron 8200 with an internal wireless LAN
    > card.  What can I do with it?  So far I seem to be seeing bad reports
    > all over regarding range.  Should I just keep the wireless LAN card as
    > some sort of backup or short range blue-tooth kind utility?  I was
    > hoping I could get involved in a community based wireless LAN.

    I have a Latitude with TrueMobile.  It's essentially the
    same as an Orinoco Gold card, expect that it is a MiniPCI
    card instead of PCMIA (but it is internally hooked up via
    the PCMIA controller).  I seem to be getting about the same
    range out of it as I do with an Orinoco PCMCIA (ie, just not
    enough for all of my backyard :-/

    Manuel