Just starting

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Mon May 6 14:57:20 EST 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, JD wrote:

> I'm interested in doing a similar thing, and would be interested in
> sharing any information that gets mailed directly to you, and not to
> the list !

I'll help where I can.

> > Hi all
> > I'm just starting into radio and I'd like some advice from those
> > that have been there and done it all. :-)

There are alot of people getting into Wireless now ..  I think we're all
learning what makes for an ideal setup.

> > Anyway what we were looking at was sharing internet access with
> > each other (Yeah I know about the grey area in the law) using some
> > good cards then sharing the network with other friends in the
> > neighbourhood that can access our 2 sites.

There are a number of us who are looking into the law, and also making
sure that we're heard by entering submissions into the governments
Inquiry into Wireless Broadband (sorry, I don't have the exact URL
handy, but it's at www.aph.gov.au somewhere).

> > So what we've worked out so far........... (Don't laugh if we've
> > got it all wrong)
> > We've decided to run every thing in ad-hoc mode.

I think with Ad-Hoc mode, everything on the network needs to be able to
see the other machines, otherwise there are issues that can cause slow
downs (someone else may be able to confirm that)

> > This is so we can communicate to each other and to the client
> > machines.
> > Unless I've got it wrong APs can't communicate with each
> > other AND with clients. Am I right!

There are AP's that can communicate with each other, but typically only
high end units such as the Cisco Aironet's.

> > The Equipment we're looking at so far is a DWL-120 (it's a USB
> > adaptor that will be used for the client machines).

Are you planning to add external antenna to these?

> > We were going to use the DWL-520s for the 2 main nodes BUT we've
> > since found they don't' work well in Ad-hoc mode. :-(

The two cards would have been trying to talk to each other.

> > The 2 main links will be Linux machines, I've got a few old 486s
> > so they should do FINE!!!

Providing you're not using WEP, these should be ok for routing.

> > So any suggestions or corrections? >
> > As you can see I don't' know much at all. :-(

Check out some of the links and forums at http://www.sydneywireless.com/
.. you may find something useful there.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----