Orinoco and RH 7.2: close but no cigar

Mike Starnes mstarnes7 at comcast.net
Wed May 1 07:43:18 EST 2002

Hi list:

I've been trying for some time to get an Orinoco Gold card to work on a Dell
Latitude with a linux OS. Tried Mandrake 7.2 for a while then recently installed
Red Hat 7.2 with a stock 2.4.7-10 kernel.

Trying to use the pcmcia package that came with the OS
(kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.27-10) and connect with an RG-1100 in bridge mode
connected to a lan. I think it's almost working because during boot there are
two high beeps. Using "iwconfig eth0" I can set and view parameters. The correct
essid and the mac address of the RG-1100 are shown. The Encryption key is shown
as a number in a format like xxxx-xxxx-xx (is that a hex format?) when I entered
a format like xxxxx. Has Link Quality:46/92, Signal level:-51dBm, Noise
level:-97 dBm.

But I can't ping anything, not even a local box on the lan. "ifconfig" and
"route" show only the lo interface. It seems like the card and driver are
working but has no ip address or route. How are these assigned to a wireless
card?

Am I correct in assuming it's almost working? Hoping to get this working without
recompiling the kernel or installing a new pcmcia package or orinoco_cs. The
laptop has no network connection other than floppy_net. Think I read in this
list's archives that this should work. All help appreciated. Have RTFM, all that
I can find, but still in the dark.

Mike