D-Link DWL-650 and 3com 3CRWE747A

Jamin W.Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Thu Mar 14 03:01:32 EST 2002

Has anyone successfully used this combination?

A little background.  I've got a D-Link wireless setup at home using
the DWL-650 cards and the DWL-1000AP access point.  It works beautifully.
At work, we have a 3com wireless setup using the 3CRWE737A cards with the
3CRWE747A access point.  This too works beautifully.

It was my understanding that most (if not all) 802.11 access points and
cards can be used more/less interchangably.  To this end, I'm trying to
use my DWL-650 card with the access point (3CRWE747A) at work.  The card
appears to connect for a brief moment (leases and IP) and then disconnects
with the following errors in the log:

kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
kernel: eth0: Tx timeout! Resetting card.
kernel: eth0: Tx error!
kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
kernel: eth0: Tx timeout! Resetting card.
kernel: eth0: Tx error!
kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
kernel: eth0: Tx timeout! Resetting card.
kernel: eth0: Tx error!
kernel: eth0: Tx error!

I've successfully used the DWL-650 on a windows laptop with the 3com
access point, and I've successfully used one of the 3com cards in this
laptop with the 3com access point.  However, I've been unable to get the
D-Link card to get a stable connection to the 3com access point under
Linux.

System information:
Sony PCG-C1VN
Debian Woody