DWL-650 + BEFW11S4 Difficulties

Seth chandler sethbc1980 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 11 17:38:30 EST 2002

Alright, this would be my first time posting anything to any forum, so bear
with me: Usually i'm a lurker ;-)

First, My Setup:

1 D-Link DWL-650 Wireless LAN Card (the 128-bit WEP model)

1 Linksys BEFW11S4 EtherFast Wireless Access Point + Cable/DSL Router with 4
port switch

The Linksys router/ap is configured to use 128-bit WEP, i have the key and
all set up fine (i.e. it works with the windows boxen in the house).

The DWL-650 + My Laptop also works fine under windows (so i'm sure they both
work and all).  I am running debian-sid, with kernel 2.4.18.  I originally
had the modules (orinoco_cs, orinoco, and hermes) compiled statically into
the kernel.  I decided to remove them, and have them compiled separately as
modules (i had the versions that came with the kernel, and the brand new .10
version of the modules as well)

Thus far, the setup has worked fine, other than some difficulties getting
the wireless.opts and all to work.  I finally settled for a simpler config:
putting pre-up commands in my /etc/network/interfaces file.

iface eth1 inet dhcp
        noauto
        pre-up iwconfig eth1 essid Hassinger-Wireless-Network
        pre-up iwconfig eth1 key ****-****-****-****-****-****-** restricted
        pre-up iwconfig eth1 mode Managed

(i've blocked out the key, hey you probably dont' live next door, but what
if you do ;-)

when the card is inserted, it works fine.  an ifup eth1 brings teh card to a
(fairly) functioning state.  my difficulties are with the fact that i am
unmercifly bombarded with

eth1: Undecryptable frame on Rx. Frame dropped.

every single packet generates this error.  I can still send and receive
files, etc.  I am in fact using the card right now, but my iwconfig looks
rather odd:

eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"Hassinger-Wireless-Network"
Nickname:"Prism  I"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437GHz  Access Point: 00:04:5A:EF:25:2D
          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:E901-1781-C2D7-AEC8-6855-658D-F3   Encryption
mode:restricted
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:92/92  Signal level:5/153  Noise level:108/153

first things first, the singal level and noise level, that doesn't really
make sense becuase i'm about 10 ft across the room from the access point.
the second odd thing is that the performance of the connection is lackluster
to say the least.    in this very position in the room, i have had windows
transferring files at (insert big number here, 200k to my dsl anyway, and
about a meg to other computers on the network).  The linux connection can
barely muster a sustained 10k.

i've scoured the net for resources, and i just can't find anything about why
this would happen...thx in advance guys,

seth