symbol cell address inquiry

Vic Berdin sndbeat at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 27 15:34:52 EST 2002

Hello everyone,

I noticed that when I'm using a symbol spectrum24 in
ad-hoc mode, the initial "iwconfig" cell address
is set to 00:00:00:00:00:00. This address will only be
toggled to 02:A0:F8:2F:FA:B7 when I activate another
machine set in ad-hoc (ofcourse, essids on both
machines are the same).

But using an orinoco silver, even without an ad-hoc/
P2P companion, the iwconfig cell address is always set
to 00:02:2D:1C:FF:F3 (the correct mac addy).

Also, my symbol card's mac address printed at its back
is actually: 00:A0:F8:2F:FA:B7. This is the same
address displayed when I issue an "ifconfig" command
(differs a bit to the "iwconfig" result).

Is this how symbol spectrum24 cards really behave when
set to function in ad-hoc mode? I mean, the "iwconfig"
cell addy without a P2P companion is really set to
00:00:00:00:00:00?

TIA - Vic