Wanted: wireless network card

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Wed Jun 26 18:16:35 EST 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 02:32:39PM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 09:16:04PM -0700, Vic Berdin wrote:
> > >From your reply I take it that DWL-650H will not work
> > with hostap driver unless Jouni considers supporting
> > it.
>
> That's right.  And supporting Symbol firmware on the hostap driver
> would probably be a significant amount of work for Jouni.

Actually, Host AP driver has limited support for cards using
Symbol firmware. The routine for recognizing Symbol firmware is far from
perfect (it just uses a list of few known manfids), so many models are
probably not identified correctly.

The driver is able to use Managed mode (and maybe even adhoc) without
WEP, but Master (Host AP mode) is not supported at all (and it the
default mode, so this needs to be changed with iwconfig. In addition,
I haven't bothered finishing this support since there are already other
drivers supporting these cards and the main point of Host AP driver is
in getting the AP mode working.. I don't see this changing in the future
unless there is a mode allowing Symbol firmware to be used like
Intersil firmware's Host AP mode (and me or someone else having enough
time to add support for this).