[WIRELESS] AP Scanning detection

Mike Kershaw dragorn at nerv-un.net
Tue Jun 25 12:47:58 EST 2002

> Well, MAC adresses can be forged (e.g. iwconfig eth0 MAC
> xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx), so you could first passively listen for a MAC
> address and then start scanning.

true enough

> So if I understand correctly it is technically possible to scan for
> networks and be totally undetectable but this is not the way the orinoco
> driver (in its very latest edition) implements it.

on linux, Snax has patches to do pure rfmon with orinoco cards.  Stuff
like Kismet and Wellenreiter will work with the patched drivers to do
network detection.

-m

--
<>!*''#                 Waka waka bang splat tick tick hash
^@`$$-                  Caret at back-tick dollar dollar dash,