Recommendation of PCI card or USB adaptor for 802.11

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Jun 23 20:30:19 EST 2002

On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Ray wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 11:37:07AM +1000, Michael Still wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >
> > > I wonder if someone could recommend a PCI 802.11b card for use with Linux
> > > and/or a USB adaptor.
> >
> > I like the DWL 520 PCI card... It's a prism2 card, so you can use it as an
> > access point if you want.
>
> What is the status of the AP firmware on the Prism2 and Prism2.5 cards?
> Last time I checked (6 months or more ago) the AP firmware was unsupported,
> hard to find, and of questionable legality unless you had a licence from
> Harris/Intersil (sp).

There is a guy who works for ssh communications (I can dig out the URL if
you want, but it's in google), who has clean roomed his own AP software.
He says it is experiemental, but it just works. Very cool.

Cheers,
Mikal

PS: DWL 520, $195 from www.cx.com.au -- I paid $250, prices seem to be
dropping heaps at the moment...