Recommendation of PCI card or USB adaptor for 802.11

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Sat Jun 22 12:21:09 EST 2002

I think that cards like the DWL-520 need something a bit better than the
little rubber ducky it comes with.  An antenna mounted at the back of your PC
like it is is hardly ideal, being massively shielded by the case I wouldn't
expect too much performance from it.  If you can, and this goes for PCMCIA
cards jammed in the back of PC's, get an aerial that can be mounted on the
top of the case or up on the wall behind the PC.  The oooold Lucent Wavelan's
came with a patch antenna on an extension cord with drill mounts and sticky
pads to give you a few options to mount the thing.  You'll get much better
results this way.