Socket CF driver, the Zaurus, and monitor mode

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Jun 22 06:17:18 EST 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 02:52:35PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hi, Ian!
>
> > >   (The plan is to use the WE14 Scanning mechanism.) Also no go.  Any
> > >   reference to eth0 sticks a process in D state.  (I think that was the
> > >   problem.)
>
> Obviously, the spectrum_cs driver crashes or gets stuck in the middle of
> initialization.  I'll try to figure it out.

OK.  Though I had another thought.

The card is a prism2 card, right?  Only its firmware needs to be loaded
at every powerup?

So what happens if I load the spectrum_cs driver, let it initialize
the firmware, then do:

modprobe -r spectrum_cs orinoco hermes

modprobe prism2_cs

The answer is that the little light on the card starts blinking, dmesg says:

init_module: prism2_cs.o: 0.1.12-shp Loaded
init_module: dev_info is: prism2_cs

But there's no eth0 or wvlan0 or wlan0 or anything.  ifconfig -a just
lists irda0, lo, usbd0.

But the blinking is encouraging.

What would it take to make some wlan-ng module work with this card?
For now, I'm even happy with the "initialize it with spectrum_cs"
trick, but I'll be tempted to make a better solution later.

   - Ian