AP Scanning detection (Paul Gonin)

Moustafa A. Youssef moustafa at cs.umd.edu
Sat Jun 22 00:55:04 EST 2002

In theory you can. A node performing AP scanning sends a special message
(probe request) that can be identified from the header. If  you have
access to the raw  packets (through monitoring mode or host ap mode),
you can detect nodes performing scanning. The problem is that normal
nodes can perform scanning while they are roaming. However, you can use
the scanning rate, node id, etc to identify unwanted nodes.

Regards,
    Moustafa