802.11b antennas

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jun 21 22:13:06 EST 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 12:17:47PM +1000, 'David Gibson' wrote:

> No, it's not - since it isn't in reply to anything.

Probably a symptom of advancing senility,
or possibly paranoia,
but I assumed he _was_ replying to me personally,
as I had written to a list --
could have been the rl2-library list, though --
asking exactly the question he was answering,
namely how can I extend the range of my antenna
(listed as 0dB, whatever that means)
by a couple of metres,
so that when I sit in bed (as now) at my Vaio
on the wrong side of a 65cm granite wall,
it isn't like communicating with someone on Mars.
(There was a 30sec delay before that last line came back to me.)

I did get several replies,
but they all involved what I regard as heavy engineering,
drilling holes in the card or else the wall, etc.
(Soldering irons go with dentists' drills
in my list of instruments of torture.)

Incidentally, I don't think "spam" is quite the right word
for sending relevant advertising to a list
which frowns on advertising.
More like a breach of netiquette.