Nortel PCI

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Jun 21 13:55:31 EST 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 11:04:33PM +0200, Tobias Hoffmann wrote:
> > Would you like me to integrate this driver with the rest of the
> > orinoco front ends and try to push it into the kernel?  It will need
> > some clean up before I do that.
>
> I think it is a good idea to integrate nortel_pci into the orinoco
> driver.
> The code you can download from my webpages is just a hack to make it
> work, as
> just a new c-file wasn't enough and I had to change some structs, etc...
> I didn't/don't have the time to think about what the best way to make
> these
> changes, so I made the first version that was working for me available.
> (BTW: How is this driver working for other people?)
>
> So tell me what I should change, and I'll try to fix it.

Ok.  For starters the iobase2 address is only ever used in the
norel_pci module, so it doesn't need to go in struct hermes.  Instead
the nortel_pci should allocate some space for a private structure
(which will hang of the priv field of struct orinoco_private).  See
airport.c (struct airport and the call to alloc_orinocodev()) for an
example of how to allocate this space.

I'd like to pull iobase1 and the extra bit in the state field back
into nortel_pci as well, if possible.  I'm not terribly clear on what
the extra code in orinoco.c does.  Is it just toggling the LED?

At the very least, the STATE_LED bit shouldn't go into the state
field.  As far as I can tell there's no need for this bit to be
handled atomically, so just make it an int field.