Orinoco FW version

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jun 12 22:53:14 EST 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 08:20:38AM -0400, Joseph R. Skoler wrote:

> Can I simply download & install, or do I need to uninstall 3.1.33 and/or
> recompile the kernel w/out pcmcia support (something not yet done on this
> system)?

I'm slightly baffled by this discussion.
Does "w/out" mean "without"? Or does it mean "with or without"?
(In either case it seems a pointless abbreviation.)
But why should one compile the kernel without pcmcia support?

I have Orinoco Silver and Gold PCMCIA cards,
and they have worked perfectly with all 2.4.* kernels
including the kernel which came with RedHat-7.2,
up to linux-2.4.19-pre10 .
Am I just lucky?

As I recall, the only change I ever made
was to specify orinoco_cs in /etc/pcmcia/config:

card "Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter"
  version "Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE"
#  bind "wvlan_cs"
  bind "orinoco_cs"