passive reflectors

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 11 11:40:31 EST 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:29, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 08:59:37AM +0800, Chris Hill wrote:
> > Something else worth mentioning;  all the PCMCIA wireless cards I've
> > tested so far, are directional.
>
> My PCMCIA card is slightly, but not usefully, directional.
>
> > Tim, can you put the access point up in the roof, to get OVER the granite
> > wall?  What about if you put it very close to the granite wall?
>
> I could put the antenna in a better place,
> but I would have to use a much longer cable.
> Would that not weaken the signal appreciably?
> What is the loss in dB (I've learned the jargon!)
> per metre of cable?
0.1 or less. The cable doesn't leak much, and has pretty low resistance, so
the energy you put in is pretty much what comes out.
The connectors are a bigger issue. Manufacturing quality is variable, but
maybe 1dB per connector for decent workmanship. Tip: one big cable beats
three little ones jointed together.

Brad
--
http://conf.linux.org.au. 22-25Jan2003. Perth, Australia. Birds in Black.