passive reflectors

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Tue Jun 11 10:59:37 EST 2002

Hi Drake,

The main typo was about signal drop versus distance.

The correct statement is:

Every time you double the distance, you lose 6dB.

There are a few assumptions behind this, but it doesn't get any better than
that statement... only worse.

So whatever the signal strength is at 2m distance, it'll be 6dB weaker at
4m, 12dB weaker at 8m.

Something else worth mentioning;  all the PCMCIA wireless cards I've tested
so far, are directional.  My laptop works fine on my desk, with the wireless
card pointing towards the Access Point...  but it drops significantly
(roughly 10dB down) if I spin the laptop through 180 degrees.  On my old
laptop, the PCMCIA port was on the 'wrong' side, so I had to use an external
antenna.

Tim, can you put the access point up in the roof, to get OVER the granite
wall?  What about if you put it very close to the granite wall?

Regards,

Chris