passive reflectors

Chris Hill chris.hill at crhtelnet.com.au
Mon Jun 10 10:15:36 EST 2002

Hi Tony, Robert and group,

Actually, Robert it right about the inverse square rule.

However, "passive repeaters" do work (subject to the laws of physics).  They
can be thought of as "earth flatteners", rather than "range extenders".
Their best application is in cases when you can summarise the link as:  "We
would have HEAPS of signal on this link path, if only that great big
building | hill wasn't in the way".

The best example of a passive repeater that I've seen, is on a ridgeline
above the town of Karratha, in the Pilbara region of WA.  Two grid pack
dishes are mounted back to back, interconnected only by a section of
waveguide.  No electronics on site, no solar panels, no 240V.

Down in the town (on the coastal plain), there's a microwave dish at the
exchange, pointing at the passive repeater.   Over on the other side of the
ridgeline, at a distance of about 3km (from memory) is the other end of the
link, to service the Light Industrial Area.

To get over the ridgeline would have required ridiculously tall towers at
each end of the link.

Unfortunately, I don't have any performance figures for this configuration.

I have also used the passive principle to provide multi-channel VHF radio
coverage underground over a leaky feeder system, where there was heaps of
signal outside, and none in the underground structure.

As a guide, the passive systems work best when placed as close as possible
to one end of the circuit.  The middle of the link path is the worst-case
scenario (that inverse square rule again!).

Hope this helps,

Chris vk6kch

p.s  Robert, I'm an RMIT alumni, so you just _know_ this all has to be true,
coming from your competition :-)