Piercing a mountain? Help!

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Thu Jun 6 22:59:33 EST 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Eqeeu wrote:

> I want to setup a 802.11b link between my house and a friends, the
> only problem is that there is a large mountain (I think its Ainslie
> mountain) smack in the middle of our two houses and its impossible
> to get line of site.
>
> Is this a problem?

It is indeed.

> Would we have to go around or over the mountain with an extra
> repeater WAP somewhere, or is it possible to use two high gain
> 24dBi+ directional antenna and "pierce" straight through the centre
> of the mountain?

Yes, each link needs reasonable line of site. Most 2.4 Ghz wireless
equipment, if properly set-up, will work through a few trees, but not
through earth.

You will definately need a relay point.

There are a couple of groups in Canberra which are working on community
wide wireless networks. If you check out http://www.air.net.au/ they may
be able to help, and it's also a very good idea to register yourself on
the Canberra database on http://www.nodedb.org/

Also, excuse the slightly shameless plug, the Australian Wireless
Association is working to help community wireless networking groups
develop and build community wireless networks around Australia, keep an
eye on our site at http://www.austrlianwireless.org/

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----