antenna DIY question

jakob at jfix.com jakob at jfix.com
Tue Jun 4 00:29:40 EST 2002

Hi,

I have a box running OpenBSD 3.1 in access point mode which I would like
to put into a cupboard in my house.  Unfortunately, the cupboard has
metal doors (it seems this was fashionable in 70's France ...)  I am not
in a position to replace these doors.  The good news, I hope is the
wireless card used is the Linksys WMP11 Mini PCI card, which has an
antenna that can be unscrewed, and which itself is directionable.  I have
no idea if this screw-on mechanism is standardized or not.
What I would like to do is to mount the antenna (somehow) outside the
cupboard, with a cable connecting the antenna to the card.  I have pretty
much zero idea about antennae, cables and connectors, I read with
enthusiasm about the Pringles antennae people built, but only understood
half of it.
Also, I have problems translating terms like "pigtail" into french for
the guy behind the counter ...  I mean "pigtail" does mean "queue de
cochon", but I am not sure I will get what I want ...
Anyway, if somebody could explain to me in layman's terms what kind of
cable and connectors one is to use, or point me to a resource "for
antenna and cable dummies", I would be most grateful.
Thanks in advance,
Jakob.