Rate on Lucent Orinoco

michaeld at senet.com.au michaeld at senet.com.au
Fri Jul 26 13:58:19 EST 2002

> Subject: Re: Rate on Lucent Orinoco
> From: Phil <chaos at firestorm.cx>
> To: wireless at lists.samba.org
> Date: 01 Sep 2002 11:55:00 +0100
>
> Hiya DS,
>
> I've seen the exact same problem on my laptop. I have a Buffalo
> Airstation card (same card as Lucent's I'm told, only rebranded).
>
> The problem you describe only happens on the laptop which is running a
> generic kernel 2.4.18. The same Buffalo card is running nicely at 11Mb
> on my RedHat 7.3 box (with RedHat's 2.4.18-5 kernel).
>
> But on the RedHat box it seems to force the use of a KEY, no matter what
> I do. I can change the key, just can't get rid of it.
>
> I setup another box last night running standard RedHat 7.3, no updates
> or anything - and all of those problems vanished. Can set speed/key and
> it all sticks. I believe it's running RedHat's 2.4.18-3 kernel.
>
> I know this isn't any help, but I figured since I'm having similar
> problems I'd throw some more info into the list :)
>
> I'm gonna try 2.4.19 later, see if that makes a difference.

Hi Phil,

I too am running the RH 7.3 original kernel[1] with a silver Orinoco.

I've found that I can turn WEP on/off (& change channel etc) if I change the
ESSID.  It appears that some parms don't actually change with iwconfig unless
you change ESSID at the same time.  I haven't played with the rate yet so I
can't confirm or deny that parm.

I need to sit down and read the source sometime to verify this and/or work out
why - but there's too many other things to do first :)

HTH,

Michael...
[1] With patched orinoco driver to give it scanning support :)
--
Michael Davies                "Do what you think is interesting, do
michaeld at senet.com.au          something that you think is fun and