Patch for Pheecom cards

Joerg Dorchain joerg at dorchain.net
Wed Jul 31 22:51:32 EST 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 11:32:20AM +1000, David Gibson wrote:

> Ok, sorry, it's not quite as bad as I thought.  But this highlights
> part of the point - I missed the extra if statements in your patch
> because your indentation doesn't match mine.

Sorry, I tried to adapt it. I promise to learn.

> How similar are the PLX and TMD chips really?  Is it worth putting
> support into the same module, or should we create a new orinoco_tmd.c
> with support for the TMD chips?

AFAIK they both only provide access to the Prism2 chip. Differences are:
- The PLX chip has three recourse areas. The addional one provides access
  to the PCMCIA cis, which is only used for checking wether the card has
  a know value. This additional check is not possible for the TMD chip.
  The only place where it is used is the init_one function. As I see it,
  it is redundancy checking.
- The two remaing recources areas are swapped for their functionality.

These roughly 32 lines of additional code are all that is needed to make
the driver work. The layout of the prism2 registers is the same, it just
fits. The rest of the code is shared, so creating a new file with 95%
identical code makes no sense to me.

Maybe it would be an idea to put the common code into one file and then
have two files of about 30 lines which contain the init_one and
remove_one functions. IMHO it is overkill. It might be worth a config
option, though. You are the maintainer, so you will have the final word
;)

For the patch itself, I have two more remarks. I noticed meanwhile that
the card also initialzes with an mdelay(1). The other is that the address
for the outb(0x45) corresponds to the corr register, so for better
readability it could be replaced by appropriate macros.

Bye,

Joerg