orinoco_cs - sleep in ad-hoc demo mode ?

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Fri Jul 26 03:03:06 EST 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, EL-HOIYDI Amre wrote:
> I am working on an application in which I would like to use 802.11 in
> Ad-Hoc demo mode (the non-standard ad-hoc mode without signalling). To
> save energy, I would like to shut the radio off, part of the time, like
> in the standard 802.11 power save mode.

I can't answer authoritatively, but I believe that you just use iwconfig to
set the power save mode, and either the card sleeps or it doesn't.  Likely
the cell master has to stay awake all the time, while the other
participants don't.  Others can probably give a more authoritative answer.

But with access points available from Agere (Orinoco) for US$160 (or
possibly even less from other vendors using Intersil firmware), if you have
mains power to run the AP, you avoid interoperability problems in Ad-Hoc
mode if you buy an AP and use Managed mode. Of course if you're going to
take several laptops up in the Alps to study ecology or geology, that
doesn't help you.  (You could put the AP on top of your vehicle and use a
12V -> 120V power converter...)

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)