kernel: eth1: Null event in orinoco_interrupt!

Simon Byrnand simon at igrin.co.nz
Thu Jul 18 07:38:28 EST 2002

At 21:37 16/07/02 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 06:41:18PM +0800, Paul Gresham wrote:
>
>> 1. After building from source I had to use mkinitrd as my server is SCSI
>> based. I could not get this working at all and the system always tried to
>> boot from IDE. I gave up.
>
>Wouldn't it be simpler to build SCSI into the kernel (ie not a module)?
>(That's what I do.)

Agreed.

The only reason at all to have an SCSI driver for a device you must boot
from as a module is to allow one "generic" kernel to do the job for a wide
range of hardware. This suits people like Redhat because they can provide a
single kernel (well, two if you count SMP vs UP) and have all the SCSI
drivers as modules and only load the required drivers depending on what
hardware the installer finds you have.

As soon as you go compiling your own kernel you're far better off to just
compile the SCSI driver that *YOU* need for your machine into the kernel,
and skip the whole initrd business.

Regards,
Simon