: orinoco-12b with pcmcia 3.1.34 and kernel 2.4.18

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Fri Jul 12 04:32:23 EST 2002

Hi, Michael!

>  I check in the kernel, and i see a M in face of Hermes chipset 802.11b
> support (Orinoco/Prism2/Symbol) and PCMCIA/CardBus is not enable, does i
> need to enable ?

This means that you have hermes.o and orinoco.o from the kernel (that's
one version), orinoco_cs.o comes from pcmcia-cs (presumably another
version), and then you install orinoco-0.12b compiled against the kernel
on top of that.

Perhaps that's the most perversive configuration.  I could not even
imagine it :-)

The orinoco driver as distributed by David Gibson is primarily written for
testing and for integration into the kernel and pcmcia-cs.  I tried to
reinforce the Makefile for occasional users who want stand-alone
compilation, but no Makefile can possibly outsmart everybody :-(

Improvements in the documentation and further reinforcement of the
Makefile are long overdue, and will be done time permitting.  Sorry for
inconvenience.

Until then, please do following:

1) Recompile the kernel without PCMCIA and without any Orinoco/Hermes
support.

2) Remove all your modules and reinstall them by "make modules_install"

3) Copy all *.c and *.h files from the new orinoco driver to pcmcia-cs
sources, directory "wireless".

4) Recompile and install pcmcia-cs.

Good luck!

--