Linking In

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 10 15:18:50 EST 2002

Ashley Norris wrote:

> G'Day All,
>
> I've just got a place in Bradden and I want to join into
> the Wireless network.
>
> a) Where is the nearest node I can point my little rickety
> antenna at (just kidding, it should be quite a nice one
> once I make it)?
>
> b) Where can I score a card at a good price?
>
> c) Is there anyone in the network at Fenner Hall (which is
> across the road from us), making the ANU network available
> to the wider wireless network?
>
> d) Is anyone on the network sharing broadband internet
> access, if so, who? and how much do I pay to sign up?
>
> Hope you guys can help me link in,
>
> Regards, Ash

Whilst there are several discrete links here and there around
Canberra, there is no wider publicly accessible network as in
some other cities (although there was a great deal of enthusiam
once upon a time).

Anyone making the ANU network available to non-ANU members will
potentially get themselves into a bit of trouble. Especially if
it was being used for carriage (through traffic to the Internet).

Sorry if you came to Canberra expecting happier wireless times -
it simply did not happen.

There may be some ISPs who can help out. If you are near Fenner
Hall, then you are also near some ISPs in Braddon - maybe you can
negotiate with them.

btw. TPG Internet in Canberra are offering 512k/128k ISDN lines
for $27/month _with a static IP_, plus download charges (not too
unreasonable), but free uploads. You could get a lot of months
of happy _static_ Internet for the cost of a wireless card etc.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.