Linking In

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Wed Jul 10 13:58:39 EST 2002

Unfortunately, I think any organised wireless networking in Canberra is
nascent and fragmented.  In spite of www.air.net.au there isn't much going
on, not like in Melbourne and Sydney.  This could be rectified.  Perhaps go
to the next Canberra Linux Users Group meeting at the ANU and see if
anything is going on there.  Maybe there are a few others who are interested.

Before I left Canberra I was looking at setting up an access point on the
roof a friend's house in Melba.  He lives at the top of the hill and has
fantastic unfettered views  of all of Belconnen and North
Canberra.  Canberra is ideal for wireless networking so long as you get
some people perched high enough to run access points (like up the back of
Duffy, top of Melba, Fraser, Fadden, Banks, Richardson, Red Hill, Bruce,
Giralang, Macgregor, Upper Narrabundah, Griffith (c'mon Andrew), Nungnawall
(sp?), Evatt, housing on Lake Ginninderra (c'mon Ross),  etc.) and a few
select buildings in Civic and Woden and you should have a good
start.  Using a homebrew high gain 180 or 360 degree waveguide antenna like
on www.trevormarshall.com would be ideal.  When I was back there the other
weekend I noticed just how big all the trees in suburbia have grown so
users might have to consider antennas masts to get a signal through....

If you were lucky you could try and get a few AP's into Telecom Tower
(doubtful...)

Good luck!