Wireless scanning support in orinoco driver

Moustafa A. Youssef moustafa at cs.umd.edu
Tue Jul 9 02:41:47 EST 2002

Hi,
    Based on my experience:
    - Scanning mode is designed to work in infra-structure mode
(managed) as responding to a probe request is a function implemented by
access points
(and not stations).
    - Currently, the scanning works on the essid you're using. This is
not required in general. For example, you can be connected
to a network with essid ABC and scanning a network with essid XYZ. Using
'any' as essid enables you to view all networks.
    - You are able to scan networks for which you have the enc. key (a
strange restriction as scanning should work without assoicating with the
AP but this seems
like a restriction from the firmware). If you turn enc. off, you are
able to scan for all open networks. If you want to scan for enc.
networks, you need to have their
keys.

Best,
    Moustafa