Access points and "hidden transmitter syndrome" !?

Reynolds, Alfred Alfred.Reynolds at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Jan 16 09:43:21 EST 2002

The term for this problem in the networking world is the "hidden station
problem". It is solved by 802.11b by using the RTS/CTS handshake at the
beginning of a transmission.
In your situation, if A send a RTS to B then C would also hear the RTS and
would backoff on any transmissions. This media access control method is
called "MACA". To make it collision free you can add data frame acks and it
is then called MACAW (multiple access with collision aviodance).
802.11 also used carrier detection to avoid collisions on a channel.