Access points and "hidden transmitter syndrome" !?

Dent, Mike m.dent at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 23:22:47 EST 2002

Hi, I come from a ham radio and packet radio background so I realise the
effects of the so called "hidden transmitter syndrome".

This is where station A, can hear client B and client C but alas client B
cannot hear client C and visa versa.
So it is possible for client B and C to both transmit packets to station A
simultaneously, station A does not recognise the clashing packets and ignores
it.

What I would like to know is if the 802.11b protocol in the Access Points takes
any of this in to account, or does it simply use CSMA with CA and hope all
its clients can communicate with each other? I realise clients can be set to
use infrastructure/BSS mode to only communicate through the AP but this does
not
take in to account more than 1 client trying to access the AP at the same
time..... or does it??

I'm setting up a small community network at home, I am the access point and two
neighbours the clients but they cannot hear each other.

Thanks for any info.

Mike