Wireless in Adelaide

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Sat Jan 5 07:34:46 EST 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Jamz D. Boman wrote:

> And THESE are the exemptions under the law:

[...]

>  Line links authorised by or under previous laws
>  http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/2/3021/0/PA000610.htm

That one is actually broadcasting exemptions, the correct URL is:

  http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/2/3021/0/PA000630.htm

I correct your email only because that would most likely be the most
relevant to hobbyist/private operators. I thought it may have mentioned
the 500m rule, but it only exempts links that were installed prior to
past changes in the act.

Of course, our beloved Senator Richard "I censored the net in Australia
and banned online gambling to sell off the rest of Telstra" Alston could
be a nice guy and officially condone such hobbyist use of links:

  http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/2/3021/0/PA000640.htm
  (Ministerial determination)

As another email said, for a few hobbyists messing around with wireless
links, if you share net access then YES it is illegal (regardless of the
length of the link!), but if the ACA decide to prosecute you then they're
just wasting taxpayers money. Your *equipment* is legal under the RF LIPD
regulations (assuming it was purchased in Australia and is ACA type
approved), the only part that is illegal is that you are transferring data
over your link, that should be transported via a $$$ carrier link.

My opinion does not apply to commercial links, any ISP or other commercial
body who sets up any unlicenced links for the purposes of making $$$ is
just asking to be prosecuted. That's why I never did it when I was running
an ISP.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia