ICOM SL-1100 PCMCIA Card

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Mon Feb 25 14:59:56 EST 2002

G'Day All...

I was at the Wyong (Sydney, Australia) Ham Radio field day yesterday and
found that ICOM was selling an ICOM SL-1100 for A$150. This is about the
cheapest that I have seen anyehere in Oz for an 802.11 card. I had to
get one...

The box was only about 4" x 1.25" x 5.5"... This is unusual for a
product that is in Australia. There was little room in the box other
than for FOUR floppy disks, the card and some paperwork.

Contents of the package
	Four floppy disks - including software for Windows ME
	802.11 Card - PCMCIA Type II
	Probably a regulatory label - Black writing on a silver
background - all in japanese
	Instruction Manual in japanese- 4 A7 pages (A5 is 1/2 A4, A6 is
1/2 A5, A7 is 1/2 A6)
	Product Registration in Japanese
	Three pages of duplicates that include model number and serial
number. It appears that it could be something like registering the
device with the japanese equivalent of the FCC
	A4 instructions on how to install the cards (in japanese) with
Windows ME and Windows98

I found a copy of the software by searching google for WindowsXP. Once I
installed the software (driver and utility) things worked sort of. The
utility software plots RX, TX speeds, and error rates. This is needed to
set the mode of the driver too. You must enter the name of the access
point by hand. The driver is out of date, and not signed. More
importantly under XP it is a NETWORK driver, not a WIRELESS NETWORK
driver.

There are TX and RC lights on the antenna... And they are only on when
needed, which is different from my D-Link card...

Darryl

P.s. I think it was an ICOM Australia store that I purchased the card
from...

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
Darryl at radio-active.net.au | www.radio-active.net.au