IBM card not working ...

Paul Millar paulm at astro.gla.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 02:08:23 EST 2002

Hi,

I've got an IBM High Rate Wireless LAN card which I've been trying to get
to work, but can't. I was hoping someone might spot what's wrong. I don't
think I'm doing anything stupid (famous last words ...)

There are a number of oddities with the card. I don't know which are
important and which are irrelevant so this email's probably a bit rambling
in nature.

The card identifies itself (cardctrl ident) as:

"IBM Corporation", "IBM High Rate Wireless
LAN PC Card", "Version 01.01", "" with manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002

but my /etc/pcmcia/config has that manfid as an "Intersil PRISM2". I can't
remember which driver this was bound to, but I've configured it to use the
orinoco_cs driver.

The driver reports a Lucent/Agere firmware 6.16 w/ Ad-hoc demo and IBSS
ad-hoc support. I'm trying to use v0.9b of the driver as supplied with
2.4.18-rc2. The driver claims to have initalised correctly and a new
device (eth1) is registered.

Another oddity is with ESSID. I'm using latest stable wireless tools
(v23). If I try to change the ESSID (both in ad-hoc and managed mode)
iwconfig gives no error message, but the ESSID remains at "" (empty
string).

I changed the scheme (in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts) to change the value of
ESSID, but both restarting the pcmcia service and ejecting/reinserting the
card failed to set ESSID to anything other than "". I also tried adding
the reset_cor=1 module option in config.opts, but this didn't help either.

Yet another problem is ad-hoc mode doesn't work. The card sits quietly
without transmitting anything and doesn't detect another laptop in range.

I know the card isn't faulty as it works under Windows.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Paul.