orinoco 0.9b + pcmcia-cs scripts

Steve Beattie steve at wirex.net
Sat Feb 23 12:19:48 EST 2002

Hello,

I'm trying to get a ZCOMAX AirRunner/XI-300 (prism2 based) working in IBSS
mode with the 2.2 kernel and pcmcia-cs drivers. The orinoco 0.8 driver
included in pcmcia-cs >= 3.1.29 sort of works -- it works enough to give
me connectivity to my DSL line; however, transferring large amounts of
data causes the driver to fall over without any error messages, and the
only way it will start to work again is to reload the driver.

I took the orinoco 0.9b drivers and merged them into the pcmcia-cs 3.1.30
package, while attempting to keep David Hinds' small changes intact.
Alas, I've run into a problem. In orinoco.c::orinoco_ioctl(), before
performing the switch based on the passed in ioctl, there's a test to
see if the hardware is ready:

        if (! netif_device_present(dev))
                return -ENODEV;

This used to be (in the 0.8 driver):

        if (!priv->hw_ready)
                return -ENODEV;

Unfortunately, this change appears to break the pcmcia-cs scripts, as
when the card is inserted, I get messages like:

Feb 20 07:46:33 lizaveta cardmgr[2013]: + /sbin/iwconfig eth1 mode ad-hoc
Feb 20 07:46:33 lizaveta cardmgr[2013]: + SIOCSIWMODE: No such device
Feb 20 07:46:34 lizaveta cardmgr[2013]: + /sbin/iwconfig eth1 rate auto
Feb 20 07:46:34 lizaveta cardmgr[2013]: + SIOCSIWRATE: No such device
Feb 20 07:46:34 lizaveta cardmgr[2013]: + /sbin/iwconfig eth1 key off
Feb 20 07:46:34 lizaveta cardmgr[2013]: + SIOCSIWENCODE(19): No such device

However, I don't get "No such device" errors if I run iwconfig manually
after cardmgr has finished setting up the device; alas, I can't get
iwconfig to get the ZCOMAX card to change frequency channels and it
defaults to a different channel than the rest of my 802.11b devices are
using. I did test it with a orinoco silver card and I get the same errors
reported from cardmgr, but the default settings the silver card chooses
ends up working with the other wireless cards and the driver appears to
work fine with it (unfortunately I need to use the ZCOMAX card).

Simple hacks, like adding "sleep 5" to the beginning of the
pcmcia/wireless script, didn't help. Changing orinoco_ioctl() to use the
(!priv->hw_ready) doesn't work because the hw_ready element no longer
exists.

Any ideas? More details provided on request. Thanks in advance.

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve at wirex.net>                         Complete StackGuard distro at