More on the Orinoco + XI-825 + StrongARM platform...

David Gibson hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Feb 21 16:56:59 EST 2002

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 10:30:31PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

> David Gibson wrote:
>

> >Huh, weirder and weirder.  The de-encapsulated packet data looks
> >correct but eth_trans_type() appears to be misbehaving.  The Ethernet
> >header is big-endian so the 08 00 protocol should give protocol 0x800,
> >not 0x8 - so it looks like there is some subtl endian problem, buried
> >within there.
>

> I added some more printing...the ntohs() value for the header seems
> correct.  The really baffling thing is that arps seem to work
> (as shown by the tcpdump trace I just sent):
>
> I'll be more than happy to throw in some ntohs or visa/versa
> calls to test things out...but I'm unclear of exactly where
> I should start poking...
>
> Note that the regular ethernet driver works fine, too, so I
> suspect the orinoco somehow...

Well, that's logical.  Except that at the point you're printing out
the data the packet looks fine.  In fact I just figured out that even
the protocol is ok, because skb->protocol is stored in network order.
But by the time the packet reaches tcpdump, the first two bytes of the
IP header have gone missing.  But I can't see anything in the driver
which could possibly mangle the data between your printk()s and the
netif_rx().  The IP header is even 4-byte aligned.