discovering APs through broadcasts

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Wed Feb 6 02:11:13 EST 2002

I've got a Buffalo/Melco AP. It comes with a win utility to discover it
through broadcast packets. I'd like to get that info from linux.

I see they exchange info via udp broadcasts and that, in the AP answer,
ESSID starts at byte 80, ip at 32, plus some more info.

Is this a kind of standard communication protocol, so that I can find
pre-made perl scripts that will show me all the output pretty formatted, or
will I have to make my own scripts... ?

I need to get the info on a linux system that uses a non-wireless nic.

Thanks

giulioo at pobox.com