WAP11

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Wed Dec 25 12:47:26 EST 2002

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Tim Smith wrote:

> Is anybody having problems with running windows file and print sharing
> over the LinkSys WAP11 ? TCP/IP is fine but all the other is really
> twitchy

I can't say for sure, but the netbios ports (137 138 139) use UDP, and if a
lot of packets were being trashed, you could get unreliable Windows
file/print sharing.

Is it possible that your AP is on a channel that a neighbor is also using?
Like the default channel (whichever that is for Linksys)?  If you have a
Linux box, download my "aphunter" and do a site survey:
    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/aphunter.tgz
Pick whichever of channel 1, 6, or 11 is unoccupied or has the lowest
signal strength from competitors.  (Other channels are for 802.11 at 1
MHz.)  The utility program for Windows that came with your client card may
or may not be useful for a site survey.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)