Antennas in the real world.

Lyle Williams lyle.williams at bigpond.com
Sat Dec 21 00:29:58 EST 2002

Feeding of the four helicals was stolen from the ARRL Antenna Handbook.  The
basic idea was to drop the feedpoint impedence of a single helix from 140
ohms to closer to ~50 ohms.  All helixes were aligned identically on a
square aluminium reflector.  Equal lengths of wire linked the helixes to a
central point behind the reflector, where a N-connector led to a short bit
of LMR-195 and a RP SMA.

On the humerous side, having built 8 helixes in a batch, I found that I had
somehow made one #$%^ left hand circular polarised.  I have no idea how I
wound one backwards without noticing.  Anyway, that one went into the bin,
and I made a ninth one RHCP.

Performance certainly wasn't worth the construction effort.  The length and
weight of the helicals makes them hard to mount.  I have an unguyed 7m mast
with a vertical antenna for 144/430MHz on the top.  Mounting the 180 degree
slotted waveguide under the existing antenna would be really simple, and
create negligible torque to topple/bend the mast.  Also, it probably will be
easier to get mast space around town if you don't need to be on the top of a
mast.

Lyle Williams
VK1XLW
(Still hoping an angel with a computer controlled milling machine would
appear out of the blue...  :^)